Havenwood Presbyterian Church celebrated its Fifty-fifth Anniversary in 2011! As we move forward, let's also take a moment to look back. The Trustees of the Presbytery of Baltimore acquired from the Ashton Building Corporation two properties on Ridgely Road, Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland. On November 24, 1954, the property at Charmuth and Ridgely Roads was deeded. The other, 35 Ridgely Road, was deeded on September 9, 1955, and was the church's manse until its sale in September 1979.
The Board of National Missions assigned The Reverend Richard J. Manning to Havenwood in July 1955. He had recently graduated from Seminary and, along with his wife, Emilie, moved into the new manse. On September 24, 1955, plans began for communion service, church formation, and religious education for the children of the community. Less than six months later, seventy-six individuals became charter members of the newly formed church. Charter Sunday for Havenwood Community Presbyterian Church was March 4, 1956, with seventy-six members including a leadership of six ordained Elders and eight ordained Deacons. A Board of Trustees was also formed. The Articles of Incorporation were signed on September 28, 1956, and Havenwood became an entity under the Corporate Laws of the State of Maryland.
In 2011, we have a church membership of approximately 300 active members. Our leadership today consists of the Session (which includes the former Board of Trustees' duties) and the Board of Deacons, each having fifteen officers serving our church. In December, 1956, groundbreaking was held for our current Fellowship Hall and classrooms (originally designated Faith and Life Building). This structure provided 10,560 sq. ft. of space on two floors. The $105,000 building is brick with laminated wooden arches supporting the roof and was constructed by the firm of Guidera, Larnder and Wich. The architect was Joseph H. Foutz, A.I.A. The lower floor provided four Church School rooms that could be partitioned. A second floor room was used for Board meetings and classes. The cornerstone laying took place on July 21, 1957. The official Dedication Service was held on November 17, 1957.
The Reverend Manning accepted a call to become our first minister in May, 1958. He served at Havenwood until November 1961, when he moved to a pastorate in Long Island, New York.
On April 29, 1962, the congregation issued a pastoral call to The Reverend Robert Kent Shaffer of Pennsylvania and he was formally installed on June 17, 1962. His wife, Jane, accompanied him. They have three sons. A debt reduction program as well as a building program for a new sanctuary challenged Havenwood. In September 1964, the congregation approved the model presented by architect Cicero Brown. The Dedication Service for our sanctuary was held on Palm Sunday, April 3, 1966, our tenth anniversary year. The Reverend Shaffer served as our pastor until November 30, 1976. He then accepted a pastorate at Fallston United Presbyterian Church.
The Reverend Gilbert Van Bever of Wilmington, Delaware was appointed by Presbytery in consultation with Session and guided our church between January 1977, and June 1978.
The Reverend Dr. Robert A. Reighart was installed on September 10, 1978, as Havenwood's minister. His wife, Elsie, and two sons, Charles and Tim, joined him. Under Dr. Reighart's leadership, a building fund was established which culminated with the building of Memorial Parlor and new church offices. This addition was dedicated in 1983. His untimely death at the age of 60 in 1986 completed a successful and inspiring period in our history.
On March 15, 1987, The Reverend Dr. William J. Netting was appointed Interim Pastor and led our church as we searched for our next pastor. Three assistant pastors have served us: The Reverend Philip M. Hazelton, June, 1967, to October, 1969; The Reverend Ronald Keith Porter, June, 1970, to May, 1973; and The Reverend Francis J. Kinney, first as assistant pastor from June, 1974, to June, 1975, and then as associate pastor until August, 1979. His wife, Roberta, was also a Presbyterian minister and filled our pulpit on many occasions. In 1979, they were called to a co-pastorate in Cambridge, New York.
The Reverend Dr. Harry J. Schill, III accepted our call to be our pastor in 1988. His wife, Janet, and children, Randi and Michael, accompanied him. Dr. Schill led and nurtured our church in Sunday morning worship, led us in the study of the Bible, and officiated at weddings and funerals, he conducted special worship opportunities throughout the year here as well as in adult communities and area hospitals. Rev. Schill retired this year on August 24, 2014 after 26 years of service to our congregation.
At the invitation of Dr. Schill and the Session, The Reverend Dr. George Gray Toole became Parish Associate in January 2003. Dr. Toole, the former pastor of the Towson Presbyterian Church, regularly assisted in leading Sunday Worship and the Wholeness and Healing Service, leads Adult Education events, and provided pastoral care. His wife, Donna, accompanied him to Havenwood.
In September 2015, Reverend Jeanne Gay accepted our call to be Interim Pastor from November 2015 until January 2016.
The congregation called Reverend David Willerup to be our permanent pastor on December 6, 2015. He began his call in January 2016. His wife, Autumn, and three daughters, Mariah, Emma and Samantha, accompany him.
Our current Director of Music is Tyler Horton, who joined the staff in 2013. Before Tyler, John B. Terwilliger was in the position for over 30 years. John came to Havenwood in 1981 along with his wife, Wanda. John faithfully directed our Chancel Choir and was our organist during Sunday worship services. In addition, he directed special event programs. Members Bob Wahlgren and Doris Glenn have been guest organists on occasion. Our Allen Organ was installed in June 1991, and dedicated November 16, 1991. Our Kimball Grand Piano was delivered in December 1994, and dedicated on March 19, 1995. Prior to John Terwilliger, our Directors of Music have included Jack Shaffer, Frank Bell, Howard Hayden, Charles Coursen and Sandra Haug.
The Youth Choir was formed by Barbara Oshman Fenselau in 1976. Former Youth Choir Directors have included Karen Mortimer, Kathi Weinel, Wanda Terwilliger, Doris Glenn and Bethany Schwendy. Our current Youth Choir director is Dori Beaufelter.
The Handbells were purchased in 1997. Kathi Weinel originally directed the Handbell Choir until her retirement. Allise Beaufelter was our Handbell Choir Director until June 2014. Shelly Reel became the director from July 2014 until December 2015. Allise Beaufelter resumed her directorship in January 2016.
The Women's Association was chartered in 1956. The Presbyterian Women of Havenwood at present includes sixty-five members plus other women of the congregation in our circles. Numerous activities and programs are carried out to fulfill our mission which is: “Forgiven and freed by God in Jesus Christ, and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to nurture our faith through prayer and Bible study; to support the mission of the church worldwide; to work for justice and peace; and to build an inclusive, caring community of women that strengthens the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and witnesses to the promise of God's kingdom.”
Our Scouting groups were also chartered in 1956 and have enjoyed fifty successful years here. Richard L. Shaw served as Scoutmaster of Troop 828 from 1970 to 2009, having joined the Scouts himself in 1961. The current Scoutmaster is Thomas O'Dwyer. Over 60 boys have become Eagle Scouts. Other community service groups, including Korean Presbyterian Churches, have utilized the facilities of Havenwood Presbyterian Church as well.
In 1959, a church-operated daily kindergarten was established by the Session's Christian Education Committee under the chairmanship of J. Douglas Mitchell. Early teachers were Barbara Kirby, Joan Viti, Dorothy Bingham, and Josephine Nead. When public school kindergartens were introduced, Havenwood Day School operated only as a nursery for a few years. Marjorie Gravatt Busch was formally named an early Director of Havenwood Day School and had eighteen on her staff. Barbara Oshman Fenselau joined the staff in February 1983, as the school Program Director and Librarian. Upon Marge's retirement, Barbara became the Preschool Director in July 1985. During her tenure, the kindergarten was accredited by the Maryland State Department of Education and the “Day School” became the “Preschool.” Barbara retired in 2007 and the current director is Susan Reigger, who had also taught in the preschool for several years prior to becoming the director. Currently, the student body of about 230 children ranges in ages from two to six year-olds and is taught by a faculty/staff of twenty-three qualified personnel. The Director meets once a month with the Preschool Council and reports directly to the Session. The Preschool offers seven separate programs today: Toddler (two year olds), Pre-Nursery (three year olds), Pre-Kindergarten (four year olds), Kindergarten, Extended Care (early morning and after school) and My Afternoon Out. Through their efforts, Havenwood is proud to offer to our community one of the finest Preschools in the state.
Our Christian Education Directors, have led very successful programs ranging from Nursery through Adult Education with the much-appreciated assistance of many of our members. Our Christian Education Directors have included Barbara Dillon, Pat Assurude, Deborah Milcarek, Sandee Mroz, Amy Wells and Jason Mroz. Our Children's Ministry is currently led by members under the direction of the Session.
We maintain and improve our building facilities throughout the years thanks to the generosity of our members who have been giving of both their money and many talents.
Havenwood Presbyterian Church has been very blessed in our ministry and eagerly anticipates even more accomplishments in the future!
Havenwood Presbyterian Church - Timonium-Lutherville, Maryland. (click here for more)
The Havenwood Presbyterian Church, a community of faith located in Timonium, MD witnessing for Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, seeks to share the good news of Christ by providing an open atmosphere for the worship of God and for spiritual nurturing through fostering of Christian education, fellowship, growth, mission and service. (click here for more)
To reach a staff member, click here for Contact information. (click here for more)
Here, you will find a repository of publications and newsletters. (click here for more)
- Fellowship Activites.
- Study and Service
- Sunday School
- The Session
- The Deacons
(click here for more)
Havenwood Presbyterian Church celebrated its Fifty-fifth Anniversary in 2011! As we move forward, let's also take a moment to look back. (click here for more)
Havenwood Presbyterian Church invites you to visit our Church and it's services. (click here for more)
Havenwood Pre-school. (click here for more)
Havenwood seeks to fulfill our Lord's command to "love your neighbor." In order to help people in need, we are involved with many worthwhile organizations close to home, across the country, and around the world. (click here for more)
As a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) we believe... (click here for more)
Links to other Sites (click here for more)
Calendar - Special Events... (click here for more)